Monday 2 February 2015

Review: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Mass

Title: Heir of Fire
Author: Sarah J. Mass
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Review copy received via Netgalley
This book saved my life because: through new and old characters and Sarah Mass continues to weave the captivating story of Celaena Sardothien which left me desperate for the next installment 

 Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?




Firstly, thank you so much to Bloomsbury for this review copy!

This book surprised me so much. Every time I thought I new where the plot was going, Sarah Maas would change direction and completely amaze me yet again. Heir of Fire is the third book in the Throne of Glass series which follows the heroine Celaena Sardothien. And although you felt very much like you were in Celaena's world, this book has a very different feel to it. Like Sarah Mass had brought it to the next level. Basically, it was amazing in a totally different way to the first two novels.

One of the main changes that made this book so different to the first two was the change in the way Mass wrote her different povs. While the books always showed not just Celaena's perspective, this novel I feel like the different pov's made the intensity of the book so much more. The fact that you followed not only Chaol and Dorian, this was contrasted with Celaena and then again with Manon. and the you got to see how the different plot lines were working together, and gave such a legitimacy to the story. The way Mass weaved the tales together gave a real sense of the land and characters, which is very important in fantasy genres.

One of the most surprising elements in Heir of Fire was the storyline of the witches. When a preview chapter was released in Manon's perspective I must admit I was disappointed. However, as I read the novel I actually began to look forward to the parts of the story from her perspective, and even began rooting for her clan despite the role they are playing in the novel. I am really looking forward to see where Mass takes Manon as a character and what role she will have to play.

Another character which I grew to love was Rowan. At first I was worried that he would become another love interest for Celaena, which would practically ruin the books for me because Chaol is my favorite character and is basically amazing. However, I began to realise that he had a very different role to play in the story, and his friendship with Celaena was so awesome. I loved to see how he helped her grow her skills not only physically but also mentally as well. She really became the person she needed to be to return and fight the King.

The bits I loved most about this book, however, was the following of Chaol and Dorian back in Adarlan. Although the ending of Crown of Midnight was fantastic, I was worried that Chaol would become inconsequential to the story. However, he was still central to the book, which I loved. I am still hoping that he and Celaena will be together! Also this book made me like Dorian so much more, and I think out of all three books it was the one that revealed the most about his character. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading his pov. It shows how amazing Sarah Mass' writing is, as it made me invest in a character I previously didn't care much for.

Heir of Fire is one of my favorite books and really shows how amazing fantasy books can be as they weave the picture of other worlds so well. I am so excited for the next book to see what happens.

xx Viv

No comments:

Post a Comment